Tuesday 21 June 2016

Non story of the week: expensive to make beer sells for more money than usual.

Stop the presses, because a British tabloid has posted a cutting edge story about an expensive to make beer selling at a price higher than what you would expect when compared to a product that cost a lot less to make. 

Below is a totally-true-and-really-happened story of what I got up to after reading said story:

As soon as I heard about this injustice I ran three miles without stopping to the train station to make my way to Manchester. I could not wait to voice my disgust that somewhere would sell a premium product at a premium price, and only the sweet nectar of cheap beer I'd bought from the offie kept me going. As I sat waiting for the train writing 'down with this sort of thing' with a liquid made from my own rage sweat, I saw several other people who had obviously read the same story and erupted into a similar price based hatred. 

'Something has to be done' said a man who refused to give his name because he was thinking of  attending the opening of a new Brewdog later to ask if they had any cask on. 

'I mean, they think they can charge 15 quid for a far superior version of something I only paid 20p for in 1978, it's a bloody disgrace'.

'You'd of thought they put a lot of costly ingredients in it for that price, but let's be honest, beer is beer', he added sagely

Unfortunately our train was cancelled as word got out that mass riots were occurring in Manchester as a result of the story and that all craft beer bars had been declared no go zones. 

'It's just a sea of cut off beards and broken Spiegelau glasses' I heard one person whisper who had been on the phone to a friend now sifting through the wreckage of what used to be The Bar Chorlton. 

'Shall we celebrate by going to get a steak at a fancy restaurant and complain that is doesn't cost the same as a McDonalds?' Piped up a bloke wearing a Watneys red barrel shirt. 

'Sounds fucking great'.

The End

-

On a serious note, it amazes me how often this same, tired article of 'X PINT COSTS Y MONEY IN PLACE Z' with clickbaity titles in an attempt to make people scoff at others who like to enjoy something a bit different are churned out.

 It continues this trend to insinuate all beer should equal the same price, and that places are somehow ripping you off if they charge more - why else would you run a story with the title:

 'Britain's most expensive pint? Drinkers pay £15 for this trendy full-strength ale

Note the use of trendy as if to say 'well it's only this price because  people think it's cool'.I also like the deliberate concealment of the ABV in the title, with only 'full-strength' being stated. I don't see how this cannot be deliberately trying to reel in outraged clicks from 'mr or mrs average reader' because the phrase 'full strength beer' will mean different things to different drinkers. It would be an insane idea to state the correct strength in the title, right?

It also continues that ridiculous notion that beer has to be in pints.

No. Matter. What.

 You would not go into a pub and complain that a pint of 12% wine (that is easy to obtain anywhere) works out as 9 pound a pint? So why make a rare, once a year 11% beer from something to enjoy and relish into a non story that implies you are being conned?

 I wonder how much people pay for a glass of limited edition wine in restaurants/hotels/etc and if that will ever be reported on?

End of rant, eugh.

Just FYI, I linked the article in question because I thought it rude not to rant about something without providing source material. 

3 comments:

  1. You pays your money and takes your choice or move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pays your money and takes your choice or move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much. People vote with their wallets.

    ReplyDelete